POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Clothsim problem : Re: Clothsim problem Server Time
26 Jun 2024 14:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clothsim problem
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 11 Apr 2001 08:24:45
Message: <3AD44BEA.4BEDED5C@videotron.ca>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> I downloaded clothsim version 0.4.0 and I'm trying to
> create a banner waving in the wind.

Same here.

> I've tried with simulation steps 5000,10000 and 20000 but
> everytime I get a message saying that 1.04625e+301 (or some
> similarly large number) is not finite. followed by

Same here.

> my input file was as follows
>
> global_settings {
>  step 0.25
>  wind <0,-0.3,0>
> }
>
> cloth {
>  x_size 50
>  y_size 50
>  dist 2/50
>  stiffness 0.1
>  weight 0.5
>  position {<0,0,1>,<1,0,1>,<1,0,0>}
>  attach {0,0,<0,0,0.17>}
>  attach {1,0,<1,0,-0.17>}
> }

Argh!!  Same here too!!! (except the z component)

> Am I doing something wrong? I assume there's something
> about the above input that the simulator doesn't like as I can run
> the flag and sample files.

Reduce the step to 0.1 or something similar.  That solved it for me,
although it takes 200 000 iterations before my flag looks like it has
moved a bit.

And if you haven't read my earlier post on the subject, be warned that
there's a typo in the strenght [sic] keyword.
--
Francois Labreque | It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it
    flabreque     | is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
                  | motion.
                               - Stolen from Badger's .sig file